Depression quotes can go a long way in explaining how people with depression feel on a daily basis or in helping someone who is struggling on their journey to mental health.
According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, about 6.7% of the US population aged 18 and over is affected by depression in any given year. Ages 18 to 25 are more prone to depression.
Despite being one of the most common mental disorders, explaininghow is depressionit can be hard
These depression quotes do a good job of making you feel less alone.
RELATED:9 Subtle Signs of Depression You Were Too Depressed to Notice
when someone is depressedyou may feel depressed, hopeless and unmotivated.
Whether caused by genes, hormonal changes, stress, pain or substance abuse, depression is irrespective of race, education or economic background: everyone is at risk.
If you have depression, you may find it difficult to express how you feel. OthersYou may not understand what you are going through.and may try (with good intentions) to try to cheer him up, only to end up confused as to whatWhy are you still depressed?.
We've collected the best depression quotes to help you interpret your feelings of sadness, help you determine if you need to seek help, and remind you that you are not alone in your emotions.
1. “Each man has his secret pains which the world does not know; and we often call a man cold when he is only sad. ―Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
2. “Sometimes I think depression is a way of coping with the world. Some people get drunk, some people get high, some people get depressed. Because there's so much out there that you have to do something to deal with it." —Ned Vizzini
3. “You can feel bad and from the inside out. It doesn't mean you're imperfect, it just means you're human." ―David Mitchell
4. “Sadness hurts, but it's a healthy feeling. It is something necessary to feel. Depression is very different." ―J.K. Rowling
5. “In addition to my countless other acquaintances, I have a very intimate confidant... My depression is the most faithful lover I have ever known; no wonder, then, that he loves her back." —Soren Kierkegaard
6. "If you're chronically down, it's a lifelong struggle not to sink." ―Elizabeth Wurtzel
7. "Don't try to settle serious matters in the middle of the night." ―Philip K. Dick
8. “Our Generation didn't have a Great War, nor a Great Depression. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our life.” -Chuck Palahniuk
9. “One swallow does not make a summer, nor a good day; likewise, a day or a little while of happiness does not make a person completely happy. -Aristotle
10. "Depression is melancholy without its charms." ―Susan Sontag
11. “My mental health issues are real and valid. I won't judge myself for the bad days when I can barely get out of bed. I won't feel any worse because someone else seems to be handling their mental illness better than I am. Recovery is not a competition.” — Matt Joseph Diaz
12. "I live in a nightmare, from which I occasionally wake up in my sleep." ―Ursula K. Le Guin
13. “Don't be afraid to spend quality time with yourself. Find meaning or you won't find meaning, but 'steal' some time and give it freely and exclusively to yourself. Opt for privacy and solitude. This doesn't make you antisocial or reject the rest of the world. But you need to breathe. And you have to be. —Albert Camus
14. "I'm in such a mood that if I were underwater I'd barely make it to the top." —John Keats
15. "You think you deserve this pain, but you don't." — Richard Swersey, me, you and everyone we know
16. "The optimist claims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears that this is true." —James Branch Cabell
17. “It is very difficult to explain to people who have never known serious depression or anxiety the sheer and ongoing intensity of it. No off switch." —Matt Haig
18. "When you have suffered a lot in life, each additional pain is unbearable and insignificant." —Yann Martel, Life of Pi
19. "Very exhausted, tired, depressed and angry... I must fill my mind with air and light, walk and cover it with fog." -Virginia Woolf
20. “Have you ever been so melancholy that you wanted to fit in the palm of your loved one's hand? And stay there, for fifteen days, or decades, or time between the stars? In complete silence? —Sarah Ruhl, Melancholy Work
21. "Depression is like a war: either you win or you die trying."
22. "I drank to drown my pain, but the damn pain learned to swim..." —Frida Kahlo
23. "You will have bad moments, but they will always wake you up to things you weren't paying attention to." —Robin Williams, In Search of Goodwill
24. “Whether an illness affects your heart, your arm, or your brain, it is still an illness and there should be no distinction. We would never tell someone with a broken leg to stop wallowing and get better. We don't think taking medication for an ear infection is anything to be ashamed of. We shouldn't treat mental health conditions any differently. Instead, we need to be clear that getting help is not a sign of weakness, it's a sign of strength, and we need to make sure people get the treatment they need." -Michelle Obama
25. "I need a whole new syntax for fatigue on days like this." —David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
RELATED:8 Subtle, Often Overlooked Signs That You're Really Depressed
26. "It went against my principles and all, but I felt so depressed I didn't even think about it. That's the problem. When you feel really depressed, you can't even think." — J. D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
27. “Tonight, once more, life sinks its teeth into my heart.” - Simone de Beauvoir
28. “If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present. - Lao Tzu
29. "That's all I want in life: for this pain to feel like it has a purpose." ―Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
30. "Nothing can heal the soul but the senses, just as nothing can heal the senses but the soul." ―Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
31. "I won't tell you not to cry, because not all tears are bad." —J.R.R. Tolkien
32. "There are wounds that are never seen on the body that are deeper and more painful than anything that bleeds." —Laurell K. Hamilton, The Mistral Kiss
33. “The sun stopped shining for me, that's all. The whole story is: I'm sad. I'm sad all the time and the sadness is so strong that I can't get away from it. Always." —Nina LaCour
34. “If you know someone who is depressed, resolve never to ask why. Depression is not a direct response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather." —Stephen Fry
35. “That's what happens with depression: a human being can survive almost anything, as long as the end is in sight. But depression is so insidious and getting worse daily that it's impossible to see the end. —Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation
36. “Every time you read a cancer brochure, website or anything else, they always list depression among the side effects of cancer. But actually, depression is not a side effect of cancer. Depression is a side effect of death." ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
37. "Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more difficult to bear." —C.S. Lewis, The problem of pain
38. “The worst kind of crying wasn't what everyone saw: the crying on street corners, the tearing of clothes. No, the worst happened when your soul was crying and no matter what you did there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of his soul that survived. For people like Echo and me, our souls contained more scar tissue than life." —Katie McGarry, Pushing the Limits
39. “The worst kind of crying wasn't what everyone saw: the crying on street corners, the tearing of clothes. No, the worst happened when your soul screamed and no matter what you did, there was no comforting it." —Katie McGarry, Pushing the Limits
Related Stories from YourTango:
The Dark and Miserable Hell of Living with Depression
being happy is hard work
There Are 2 Different Types Of Depression: How Each Approaches You
40. “It doesn't do any good to treat a depressed person like they're just sad, saying, 'That's it, wait, you'll get over it.' Sadness is more or less like a cold, with patience it will pass. Depression is like cancer. —Barbara Kingsolver
41. “Noble deeds and hot baths are the best remedies for depression.” — Dodie Smith, I capture the castle
42. "Look for the memories that depression takes away from you and project them into the future." —Andrew Solomon, The Midday Devil: An Atlas of Depression
43. "Trying to hide mental pain often adds to the burden: it's easier to say 'My tooth hurts' than to say 'My heart is broken'." —C.S. Lewis
44. "Once you're an adult, you can't go back." - Peter Pan
45. “When you're surrounded by all these people, you can feel more alone than when you're alone. You can be in a big crowd, but if you don't feel like you can trust anyone or talk to anyone, you feel like you're really alone." ― Fiona Apple
46. “I don’t want to see anyone. I lie in my room with the curtains drawn and nothing hits me like a lazy wave." —Margaret Atwood, Cat's Eye
47. “I'll never forget how good and bad depression and loneliness are at the same time. It still works." —Henry Rollins, The Henry Rollins Laptop
48. "Depression, on the other hand, is flat, hollow and unbearable. It's also exhausting." —Kay Redfield Jamison, An Inquiring Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madness
49. “In my experience, people are much more understanding if they can see you're suffering, and for the millionth time in my life, I wish for measles or smallpox or some other easily understood disease just to make it easier on me and me. . for them." —Jennifer Niven, All the Bright Places
50. “The sun stopped shining for me, that's all. The whole story is: I'm sad. I'm sad all the time and the sadness is so strong that I can't get away from it. Always." —Nina LaCour, Stand Still
If you or someone you know is dealing with depression, call the SAMHSA National Helpline (1-800-662-4357) for free, confidential information and treatment referrals 24/7 , 365 days a year. For free, confidential emotional support, call 800-273-TALK no matter what issues or stress you are experiencing.
RELATED:10 Dying Truths Depressed People Never Talk About
More for you:
10 ways the universe warns you when your life is about to change
The 100 best love phrases that will make anyone believe in love
126 rare words with beautiful meanings
100 deep questions to get to know you much better
Helen Luc is a frequent contributor to YourTango. Her writing focuses on themes of love, relationships, and pop culture.
Sign up for YourTango's free newsletter!
What is a quote that describes depression? ›
' Sadness is more or less like a head cold—with patience, it passes. Depression is like cancer. That's the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it's impossible to ever see the end.What is a good quote about depression? ›
"Depression is like a bruise that never goes away. A bruise in your mind. You just got to be careful not to touch it where it hurts. It's always here, though."What are some famous quotes about overcoming depression? ›
- "Getting better from depression demands a lifelong commitment. ...
- "Once you choose hope, anything is possible." —Christopher Reeve.
- "A pearl is a beautiful thing that is produced by an injured life. ...
- "Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet.
"People don't die from suicide, they die from sadness." "Sometimes I'm sad and tired and miserable for no reason at all." "There's nothing more depressing than having it all and still feeling sad." “If you are chronically down, it is a lifelong fight to keep from sinking.”What are 3 facts about depression? ›
- Depression is a common mental disorder. ...
- Depression is a leading cause of disability worldwide and is a major contributor to the overall global burden of disease.
- More women are affected by depression than men.
- Depression can lead to suicide.
“Being able to be your true self is one of the strongest components of good mental health.” Lauren Fogel Mersy, n.d. “All stress, anxiety, depression, is caused when we ignore who we are, and start living to please others.” To maintain wellbeing, individuals need to recognize their inner strengths.What is a hard life quote? ›
“It's a hard life if you don't weaken.” “The harder life is for a man when he is young, the easier it will be in the future.” “What an ugly, loveless life for a girl.” “try to don't be killed and pray for healing, but be a killer and pray for forgiveness.”What are some short quotes for people with depression? ›
- Crying doesn't mean that you're weak. ...
- Don't dwell on those who hold you down. ...
- Never, ever, ever, ever, ever give up on yourself. ...
- Right now, stop whatever you're doing and think of all the things in life that you are grateful for.
“The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too.” “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.” “Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word.”What does the Bible say about depression? ›
Psalm 9:9. “The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.” The Good News: Depression can make you feel as though you're weighed down. But no matter how troubled you feel, this verse reminds you that the Lord is always there to support you.
What are sad but true quotes? ›
You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness. Tears come from the heart and not from the brain. To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing. People keep telling me that life goes on, but to me that's the saddest part.What is depression in real life? ›
Depression is a common mental disorder. Globally, it is estimated that 5% of adults suffer from the disorder. It is characterized by persistent sadness and a lack of interest or pleasure in previously rewarding or enjoyable activities. It can also disturb sleep and appetite. Tiredness and poor concentration are common.What's the first line for depression? ›
TREATMENT FOR MAJOR DEPRESSION For the initial treatment of major depression, we suggest a combination of antidepressant medication and psychotherapy. Well-designed studies have shown that combination treatment is more effective than either treatment on its own.What's a better word to say then saying depressed? ›
He often felt despondent after these meetings. I left feeling utterly dispirited. She was morose, pale and reticent. He was looking increasingly disconsolate.What is the biggest cause of depression? ›
There's no single cause of depression. It can occur for a variety of reasons and it has many different triggers. For some people, an upsetting or stressful life event, such as bereavement, divorce, illness, redundancy and job or money worries, can be the cause. Different causes can often combine to trigger depression.What are 10 interesting facts about depression? ›
- There Isn't Always a Quantifiable Reason. ...
- Many Factors May Cause Depression. ...
- Children Get Depression Too. ...
- It Is a Real Illness. ...
- It's Different from Sadness. ...
- The Depression Umbrella Covers Many Aspects. ...
- Depression Can Change How We Think. ...
- Depression Can Lead to Other Health Issues.
“Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey.” “The only thing more exhausting than having a mental illness is pretending like you don't.” “The strongest people are not those who show strength in front of the world but those who fight and win battles that others do not know anything about.”What is a good quote about anxiety? ›
Quotes to describe anxiety
It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” “Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.” “Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow.”
- “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” – ...
- “Surprise yourself everyday with your own courage.” – ...
- “Courage is only an accumulation of small steps.” – ...
- “I like to use the hard times in the past to motivate me today.” – ...
- “Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more.
- “More smiling, less worrying. ...
- “You must learn to let go. ...
- “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” ...
- “I wish...I wish I were dead...” ...
- “We must have a pie. ...
- “To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time.”
What are short deep quotes? ›
- “Whoever is happy will make others happy too.” ~ Anne Frank.
- “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.” ...
- “Motivation is what gets you started. ...
- “The best way to predict the future is to create it.” ...
- “Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.” ...
- “We are what we repeatedly do.
When darkness causes you to mope, remind yourself that there is always hope. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King, Jr. "Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it." - Martin Luther King, Jr.What is most difficult quote? ›
- “Practice is the hardest part of learning, and training is the essence of transformation.” ...
- “What is the hardest, but best thing in life? ...
- “To be successful, one has to be one of three bees - the queen bee, the hardest working bee, or the bee that does not fit in.
- " The purpose of our lives is to be happy." — Dalai Lama.
- " Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." — John Lennon.
- " Get busy living or get busy dying." — Stephen King.
- " You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." — Mae West.
- " ...
- " ...
- " ...
- When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
- Life every day like it's your last.
- Be yourself. ...
- Be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Let go of who you think you're supposed to be and embrace who you are.
- If you are not obsessed with your life, change it.
- Set some goals, then demolish them.
“Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable.” “The saddest thing about love is that not only that it cannot last forever, but that heartbreak is soon forgotten.” “I'd rather have a broken arm than a broken heart.” “It's hard asking someone with a broken heart to fall in love again."What are some emotional quotes? ›
- “The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. ...
- “I don't want to be at the mercy of my emotions. ...
- “One thing you can't hide - is when you're crippled inside.” ...
- “The emotion that can break your heart is sometimes the very one that heals it...”
Pain states, "Just by living, people hurt others without even realizing it. So long as humanity exists, hate will also exist. There is no peace in this accursed world.How does God deal with depression? ›
In this, and other Scriptures for depression, we're reminded that God is always near to the brokenhearted. No matter how deep the pit of despair you're in, God can lift you out. Just as He did for David, God can set you back on a path towards hope and He will steady you whenever you start to stumble.
Depression is associated with sin because people experiencing depression are seen to lack some of the spiritual fruits that are regarded as evidence of genuine Christian faith: When dealing with people in the church... some see mental illness as a weakness —a sign you don't have enough faith.
Who was the depressed person in the Bible? ›
Elijah, a prophet, Biblical hero, and person of faith, was seriously depressed.What is the saddest sentence ever? ›
According to lore, Ernest Hemingway won a bet with friends to write a novel in six words, when he wrote what has been described as the saddest sentence ever written. His piercingly moving effort, which still has the power to haunt, was: “For sale, Baby shoes, Never worn.”Why my life is full of pain quotes? ›
- 1. " You can't go through life allowing pain to dictate how you behave. ...
- 2. " Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." —Buddhist Proverb.
- 3. " Time is not a cure for chronic pain, but it can be crucial for improvement. ...
- 4. " Sometimes I think I shouldn't feel the way I do. ...
- 5. " ...
- 6. " ...
- 7. " ...
- 8. "
Change Is The Only Constant
This is one of the saddest and hardest-hitting realities of our lives… that the only thing that will only truly remain forever in our lives—till the time that we cease to exist—is temporary. Where we live, where we work, who we befriend, how we behave—it all changes.
We may get knocked down, but we don't have to stay down.” “Being strong doesn't mean that you never break! Being strong means that even if you break into a million pieces, you still have the courage to pick those pieces up, put them back together, and keep going on.” Fret a little less, Smile a little more.”What are 5 positive quotes? ›
- "When you have a dream, you've got to grab it and never let go." ...
- "Nothing is impossible. ...
- "There is nothing impossible to they who will try." ...
- "The bad news is time flies. ...
- "Life has got all those twists and turns. ...
- "Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."
- “I'll be there.”
- “I love you.”
- “Maybe you're right.”
- “I trust you.”
- “Go for it.”
- “Got your back.”
- “How are you?”
- “I want you.”
“If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.How do you describe depression in writing? ›
It's like finger nails down a blackboard, screeching in your head. Ollie Senior It feels like dark, pitch black. You can hear the muffled sound of the world around you but it's dull and so far away that it might not even be there at all. You're just drowning in the dark that's your own mind.